Monday, April 7, 2008

Have You Smiled Today?

Today, as per normal, I sat at the center of Prontera fountain after leveling on monsters. Sitting in front of the computer, browsing through a revision book, occasionally looking up at the screen at the people walking up and down the streets, and the randomly opened shops and chartrooms. Suddenly, a chat room caught my eye. [Are you...smiling now?] Looking carefully, it was opened by a female novice. She was wearing a Smile Mask, sitting quietly by the fountain.

I looked as people went in and then immediately out of her chat room, those who came out, either used the [/...] emoticon, or type a string of [....]. Occasionally there would be some, who used the [/thx] emoticon. I got curious then. So I put down the revision book, move the mouse & clicked to enter her chat room.

”Peace....” She greeted me, and then deal-ed me.

At first I thought she was a beggar monster, and kept canceling. After a few times, I wanted to leave the chat room, she suddenly said “I want to give you something.....”

I looked at the item she gave me, a Flower. That's right...a Flower...a worthless 1 zeny Flower that drops from any type of plant.

I didn't understand why she gave me this Flower., and asked her why.

She then slowly typed a line of words, ”Hoping this Flower, will bring a smile to your face”

”Errr, a smile?” I still didn't understand her meaning.

”Yes...Today as you were playing RO, have you been angry? Or been unhappy because you died?”

”Yes, I had...Today I got killed by mobs.” I got angry once again upon mentioning this.

”Then you often got angry because of such matters?”

”Yes, thinking of it also made me angry!”

”Then...why are you still playing RO?”

”……”

I thought about her question on the spot, why am I still playing RO? Everyday I get angered, there would always be things that’s not going my way, so why am I still playing RO? I thought of the reasons as to why I am still staying, was it because of the high level? Too much zeny? Perhaps...but these were not the main reason.

Once again I thought of the happy times I had with my friends on adventures...meeting a good Samaritan who gave me equipments when I was still low level.....Talking to a still new Priestess by chance, which is now my dear after knowing each other for some time.....The first time we met Baphomet, the entire party couldn't react fast enough and got exterminated, all of us lying on the floor laughing hysterically...A new Acolyte in the guild, who got upset as she added wrong skills, the memory of us all comforting her...Managed to get a Ghost Bandanna, watching my cute and lovely wife wearing it for consecutive few days shopping happily...

”Have you thought of the answer?” She asked again.

“Yes...”

”So are you smiling now?”

”Yes!” A smile formed on my lips, a smile that came from within my heart.

“Hoping that this Flower, will bring a smile to your face.” She repeated again. “Once you smile, the world will smile with you.”

“Yes...Thank you.” I thanked her again.

After chatting with her, I learned that she was an old player who started playing RO when it first came out, but due to some reasons, she couldn't continue playing, after over half a year, as her friend opened a new account, she borrowed her friend's account to take a look at the RO she missed.

”So will you continue playing?” I asked her with lots of anticipation, hoping to make new friends with her.

“No...RO has changed, till I can't recognize it anymore.” She answered. “I just logged in to look around, this character, I will delete away once I log off.”

“Pity...” I replied.

”Pity? This is just a novice.” ^_^

“I didn't mean that...” I answered. “I'm saying I don't know whether they'd be chances of meeting special players like you.”

“Me? I'm very normal, but still...thanks for praising me.” She said. “I have to go, hopefully you can have a great time. Bye...”

After some time, I said “The flower you gave me, I will keep it forever.” ^_^

After saying our byes, she logged off, I thought, she won't be coming back.
The flower she gave me, although being small, but the meaning it represents exceeded its value. Now the flower occupies a space in my storage, reminding me, the motivation for me to continue playing RO, and the meaning of the kind person who gave the flower to me.



how's the story? Nightshade ask me on his behalf to post this story up on our blog.... oh.. dont worry about the copyright.... we can't trace the author..... but well, if u r the author of this story... ur story... really nice.... simple and kinda remind our old good times.... thanks for the memory....

PJ Low

3 comments:

Ins-TincT said...

^^ too true..

Anonymous said...

a vry nice story thanks you sharing with us PJ^^

Interceptors said...

errm... not me.. it is Nightshade... he asked me to help him post....